Saturday, September 15, 2018

Week 2

Dear Parents,

First, I want to welcome 3 new students to my classroom starting on Monday.

Next I want to celebrate all our hard work and fun this past week.

You'll see our family trees in the hall, which celebrate each student's family. This is the beginning of our Social Studies unit all about Roles, Relationships, and Responsibilities, where students will be asked to reflect on their lives.

In math, we're continuing to work on composing and decomposing numbers. We've been focusing on fact families.

Fact Family Anchor Chart

In Language, I've set initial reading levels for all students. All students have their own books they can read and we're practicing building stamina with focused reading. You should have seen this initial assessment come home in Mr. Zippy and I've adjusted reading levels on Raz Kids to match what I'm seeing in class.

I'm watching who's been using Raz so far, and hope that it's a valuable resource to you. In learning to read, daily practice is very helpful, so we hope to balance that between home and school.

While I've been doing that one on one work, we've also been playing games with letters and sounds. I call this "word work" and here are some examples from this week:


Students are working on putting these letters into alpha order and putting plastic animals that match initial letters (Can you spot the mistakes?)

,

separating vowels from consonants 

Stamping words


These are fun activities that students can work on independently, while I do more focused work with small groups or individuals. Students have been enthusiastic about this play and my biggest challenge is to take pictures of the learning while all this is going on. 

Sincerely, 

Ms. Goegan