Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Mondrian and line art


Dear Parents,

First, reports went home today. I hope I have connected with everyone about interviews. If there's any challenge or confusion, please contact me via email asap. Also, don't be concerned, I'll be in to do interviews after school, but have called in sick because I'm not yet 100%.

I did want to share student art with you this week though.

We looked at the work of Piet Mondrian and did some great art that's up on our walls. Here's a sample:


When doing this work, we used cardboard to make straight lines and then filled in the spaces with primary colours using oil pastels, in the style of Mondrian. I love the way these look across the wall, but each one has its own charms as well.

Some of these look like maps

Some are sparse and some are busy

One looks like a xylophone here

The one on top looks like a stained glass window to me


Students really loved the title of Broadway Boogie Woogie and this delightful brief video shows Mondrian's development as an artist, while you listen to some boogie woogie:



Our follow up to this is based on the work of Jean Dubuffet: still working with primary colours and lines, but curved lines and busy patterns instead of solids. I'm really curious how this will turn out. We've been turning some of our lines from the pumpkin art that went home into patterns for this new work




Here's some samples of Dubuffet's work. 
arte bruto - capital del arte




Can't wait to see how that turns out. 

As you tour down the hallway, all our timelines are up in the hall and the subject of ongoing fascination:



Thank you for all your hard work. I think the kids learned a lot from this process (and so did I).

Sincerely, 

Ms. Goegan