Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Making Toronto a Playground

I was inspired on my recent trip to Montreal by an installation they have at the Place des Artes that encourages people to play and build experiences together. Here is a video showing the piece:

Basically, it uses the movement of the swing to create music and, swinging together, small groups of people can create chords and music. Place Des Arts reminds me of the potential in Dundas Square, both are central places where people are encouraged to mix together and are used for various festivals and city events. 
One of the students in 305 told me of his ambition to become a playground designer and the idea hatched that this would be an engaging way for us to look at some of the geometry and science expectations. 

I've attached the project outline below. Students will be working singly or in pairs and I expect them to be able to use classtime to meet most of the requirements. 


Here's an online version of a bridge builder game to help give you a sense of some of the physics involved:
Bridge Builder Game